GOUGH

Goff, Goof, Goofe, M'Gough , Goch

Information from "Windows Into Our Past A Genealogy of the Cowne, Gough & Associated Families, Volume 2", compiled by Judy Parsons Smith 1998.

The name Goff/Gough is generally a Welsh form of the Gaelic word gobha, which means "a smith".  The old Teutonic word simtha meant a smoother of metal.  This became the Anglo-Saxon word smid.  In Welsh and Breton it became "gof" and in Cornish "gov."  From this we can see that the Welsh had invaded England very early, through the evidence provided in the names that they left behind.  In 1207 there is Bertram Goffe , Lincolnshire ; 1327 a Thomas Goff , Warwickshire; 1331 a Nicholas Goff  in Westmoreland .  The name Gough in Welsh means "red-complexioned" and is most often pronounced Goff especially in England and Ireland .

In 1637 we find Walter Goffe  arriving in Virginia .  In 1658 a William Goffe  was granted 1,000 acres, 1663-64 a John Goff e  ws granted 470 acres of land and a Martha Goffe  was granted 650 acres in each instance for bringing new settlers to the colony.  In 1663, we find 1,850 acres reverting to the colony at the death of Capt. Mathew Goffe .

Thomas Goff e  of London, England, son of John Goff e , and a descendant of sir Matthew Goch  of Wales.  Thomas was one of the owners of the Mayflower at the time of her memorable voyage in 1620, as well as later voyages.  He was the first deputy governor, under Governor Edicott  of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.[i]

An Edward or Edmund Goff  is found as a proprietor of Watertown , Massachusetts . In Newberry , Massachusetts there is a John Goff .  By 1730 it was a very common name in Rehobeth , Massachusetts , which is the mother town of several Massachusetts and Rhode Island communities.[ii]

Richard Goff

Richard Goff , b. abt. 1697, Clifford , Herefordshire , England ; m. to Dorothy (Unknown) , b. abt. 1702, Clifford , Herefordshire , England .  Richard & Dorothy (Unknown) Goff  had two (2) children:

1.       Matthew , b. 7 Sept 1723, Clifford , Herefordshire , England .
2.    
Richard , b. 2 Jul 1727, Clifford , Herefordshire , England .

Matthew Goff /Gough

1.  Matthew Goff , son of Richard & Dorothy (Unknown)  Goff , b. 7 Sept 1723, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; d. ca. 14 Jun 1841 m. Eleanor (Unknown) , b. abt. 1734, Clifford, Herefordshire, England.  Matthew & Eleanor Goff  had:

Richard Gough

1.1.  Richard Gough , son of Matthew & Eleanor (unknown) Goff, b. 31 Jan 1762, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; d. 14 Jun 1841, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; m. 24 Aug 1795, to Anne Wood , daughter of ___ & ____ Wood , b. 18 Jul 1761, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; d. 10 Nov 1843, Clifford, Herefordshire, England.  Richard & Anne (Wood) Gough  had three (3) children:

1.1.1.     Richard , chr. 18 Sept 1796, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; d. 25 Jun 1837.
1.1.2.     James , b. 14 Mar  1800, Clifford Herefordshire, England; chr. 7 Sept. 1800, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; d. 3 Jan 1864, EbbwVale, Monmouth, Wales; m. 8 Nov. 1834, Eardisley, Herefordshire, England to Eleanor Jones .
1.1.3.     Thomas , chr. 2 Oct  1803, Clifford, Herefordshire, England.

James Gough

1.1.2.  James Gough , son of Richard & Anne (Wood)  Gough , b. 14 May 1800, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; d. 3 Jan 1864, EbbwVale, Monmouth, Wales; m. 8 Nov. 1834, Eardisley, Herefordshire, England to Eleanor Jones , daughter of John & Jane (Bengough)  Gough ,  b. christened. 28 Aug. 1814, Winforton, Herefordshire, England; d. 24 Mar 1888, EbbwVale, Monmouth, Wales.

The family resided at Melbridge, Clifford Parish, Herefordshire, England.  In 1847 the family moved to Monmouthshire, Wales.

James &  Eleanor (Jones) Gough  had seven (7) children:

1.1.2.1.    James , b. 24 Oct. 1835, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; d. 3 Aug 1836, Clifford, Herefordshire, England.
1.1.2.2.    Ellen (Eleanor) , b. 9  Sept 1837, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; chr. 1 Oct 1837, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; d. 23 Apr 1914; m. 17 Oct 1863 to George Martin .
1.1.2.3.     Harriet , b. 10 May  1839, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; d. 15 Sept 1849.
1.1.2.4.    James , b. 14 Jan 1840, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; d. 31 Jul 1922, Lehi, Utah; m. 17 Oct 1863, Salt Lake City, Utah to Charlotte Crocket
1.1.2.5.     Mary Jane , b. May  1843, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; chr. 21 May 1843, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; d. 13 Dec 1857; m. Edward Jones .
1.1.2.6.      Richard , b. 29 Jul  1845, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; chr. 24 Aug 1845, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; m. Lavina Crunchley .
1.1.2.7.    Thomas , b. 28 mar 1849, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; chr. 6 May 1849, Clifford, Herefordshire, England; d. 1 Jan 1919.
1.1.2.8.    Mary Ann , b. 3 Jul  1851, South Wales; d. 21 Mar 1929; m. Leach Edward Davis .


James Gough

James Gough

1.1.2.4.  James Gough , son of James & Eleanor (Jones) Gough , b. 14 Jan 1840, Melbridge, Clifford Parish, Herefordshire, England; bap. LDS, 19 Nov 1857, by Thomas Morgan; d. 31 Jul 1922, Lehi, Utah; m. 17 Oct 1863, by Heber C. Kimball, in the Endowment House, Salt Lake City, Utah to Charlotte Crocket ,  daughter of William & Ann (Williams)  Crocket , b. 25 Apr 1843, Victoria, Bedwelty, Monmouthshire, Wales; d. 2 Mar 1923, Lehi, Utah.

During his membership with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints he was ordained as: a Deacon, 5 Jan 1858, by William Agal ; a teacher, May 1858; a Priest, 18 Feb 1859, by Jesse (James) Glover ; an Elder, 9 Apr 1860, by Jesse (James) Glover.[iii]

While serving as a Traveling Elder in the Monmouthshire Conference (19 months) he melt Charlotte Crocket t .  In 1861 he was called to preside over the Brynmawr Branch, which he held until he emigrated to Utah in 1862.   In preparing to move to Utah he moved first to Machen, 20 May 1861.  There he worked in Nantyglo in the coal mines.  He worked in the mine there with his father until 25 Apr 1862. 

James' father tried his best to keep him from leaving and going to Utah.  However he was thwarted when James, Jr. sent his baggage in the name of Dan Jones , a friend that was traveling to Utah as well.  When his father tried to retrieve his baggage there was none to be found.  James' father told him not to go with those Mormons, as they were a poor deluded lot, but he said he was going.

James  emigrated from Liverpool, England on 6 May 1862 aboard "The Manchester"[iv]. After a voyage of 38 days, he arrived in New York on 13 Jun 1862.  Once there he stayed in the Castle Gardens over night then proceeding on to Utah via:

         Albany, New York
        
by way of the New York Central Railroad to Niagara Falls.
        
From Niagara Falls to Windsor Canada by the Great Western Railroad, through Canada.
        
Crossing the Detroit River from Windsor to Detroit.
        
Departing Detroit on the Michigan & Chicago Railroad for Chicago.
        
From Chicago to Quincy, Illinois by the Chicago & Quincy Railroad.
        
Down the Mississippi River to Hannibal, Missouri.
        
Taking the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad to St. Joseph, Missouri. (remaining there for three days)
        
Taking a steamboat up the Missouri River to Florence, Nebraska.
        
Arriving 27 Jun 1862 in Florence, Nebraska.  There spending five weeks gathering provisions and signing up with the wagon train.
        
1 Aug 1862, Left Florence walking across the plains in Capt. Angel P. Harmon  Company.  Traveling ten miles a day, and some days twenty.
        
Entered into the Salt Lake Valley on 4 Oct 1862.
        
Arrived in Lehi City on 8 Oct 1862.

In Lehi, Utah most of the settlers, at this time would live within the fort and would go out and work adjoining fields, until the had become familiar enough with the local Indians to declare them friendly enough to obtain farm lands of their own.  It was here that James Gough  brought his new wife to their first home, a little adobe house which was located within the Old Fort Wall in Lehi, Utah.  By today's standards they had little in the way of comforts, the house had a dirt floor and they used pumpkins as chairs.  Baking was done in a 'dutch oven' for over seven years until they were able to get a stove.

Around 1868 with the threat from the Indians becoming less of a concern, the family moved into a little dugout in the side of a hill.  Today the location of the home is 6th North and Center Streets in Lehi.  Within three weeks after the birth of their third child the family had to relocate.  Samuel Briggs , who owned the property, had decided to build a molasses mill at that location.

James Gough  was able to obtain about ten (10) acres of land on the north side of Dry Creek, which later came to be known as the New Survey.  The Gough's were the first settlers in that area.  Here James built a small sod house, unable to obtain windows or doors,  quilts were used to cover the openings.  This was a lonesome spot in which to dwell, with the coyotes providing nightly music.

Charlotte  kept an axe by her bed for protection.  A bundle of sage brush served as her broom on the dirt floors.  Wood was brought to the house from the hills, in order to conserve what wood they had, she would sit in bed to keep warm while knitting stockings for the family.

James  worked away from the family most of the time, he worked as a blacksmith, a teamster (horse driver).  Often time bartering for the use of ox teams or horses  with which to plow his land.  He assisted in the community building of canals, diversion ditches, little church house, and other town buildings.  He also worked on building the Salt Lake Temple.  By trade James was a blacksmith.  He helped to build the first saw mill in the Dry Creek area of Lehi, which was owned by Joe Smith .  The first lumber cut in Lehi was done at this mill. 

HISTORY OF JAMES AND CHARLOTTE CROCKET GOUGH

James Gough  and Charlotte Crocket  were married 17 Oct 1863, in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah, by Heber C. Kimball .

Their first home was a little adobe house within the Old Fort Wall in Lehi, Utah.

Herewith, a brief synopsis from, "Lehi Centennial History":

"The history of Lehi is almost the history of Utah in miniature.  First were Indians.  Small bands of neighboring Utah tribes.. they were nomads.  In July 1776, tow Franciscan monks,...Dominguez and Escalante were the first white men to behold the beautiful (Utah) Lake...  About 1820, came trapper Provost.  In 1825, William Ashley , of St. Louis, founded Fort Ashley on the Lake.  From the fort, this body of water was long known as Lake Ashley.  Between 1830 and 1845, of the many who passed through Utah on their way west...John C. Fremont , the intrepid explorer.  Fist of the Utah pioneers to view the lake, 27 Jul 1847, three days after the arrival of the first company, was Orson Pratt ..

On August 5, Jesse C. Little ...reported soil exceptionally adapted for cultivation.  In 1850, Brigham Young  suggested colonizing Utah Valley.  The first Fort was started around Sulphur Springs (later Snow Springs) near Utah Lake.  Spring of 1851, brought more settlers, and the colony grew.  Brigham Young sent Bishop David Evans  to preside over the Saints of Dry Creek.  In the early spring all the families at Sulphur Springs moved up to Evansville.  Lehi was the 6th city in the territory of Utah (State of Deseret) to incorporate - Feb 1852.

With the colonizing, problems arose for and with the Indians.  In 1853, an uprising resulted in the death of an Indian.  There followed the Walker War. (Chief Walkarah ) The settlers were directed to build a fort for their protection.  The site was selected and many existing log houses moved; built end to end, forming a hollow square 70 rods long.  Inside the enclosure were corrals, stockyards and stables.  The log school house of Sulphur Springs was torn down, and rebuilt near the north east corner of the fort.  An adobe tithing office was built, consisting of two stories and a basement.  Occasionally, it was used as the meeting place of the city counsel.  The basement served as a jail.  A parapet was erected a short distance north of the fort.  In especially dangerous times a guard ws assigned as look-out.  By the close of 1853, hostilities lessened in Lehi, and by Spring of 1854, about 500 people had made their home there.  In May 1854, even though Brigham Young  had just concluded a peace treaty with Chief Walkarah, he recommended the erection of a strong wall around the fort.

For the first time since the founding of the city, the people of Lehi celebrated 'Pioneer Day' 24 Jul 1854.  August 1854, came the invasion of grasshoppers 1855, more grasshoppers!!

Hard times! Hard work! Perseverance!  These all describe those dedicated, early pioneers.

To this Lehi City, James brought his new bride.

Most of the settlers lived within the walls of the fort at this time and would go out to work adjoining lands, until such time as they felt the Indians were friendly enough, so they could obtain farm lands of their own.  The community ws on the nature of a United Order, setup where all had their jobs to do for the sake and protection of all.  One of James' duties was to act as guard to protect the community from Indian attacks.  He stood guard during the Black Hawk War (1865-1867) and other Indian uprisings.

The young family enjoyed their humble one room adobe hut even though they had only a dirt floor and used pumpkins for chairs.  Charlotte baked in a 'dutch oven' for more than seven years before they were able to have a stove.

On 28 Oct 1864, their first child was born, a daughter - Mary Ann .  When Mary Ann  was about six months old, a friend, Able Evans  was going to Wales, on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Before leaving he visited, and had dinner with the Goughs.  He took a piece of Charlotte's home spun dress to show her mother.  That was all right with Charlotte, but she told him not to tell her mother about the furniture.  (Able Evans died in Wales from the effects of a severe cold, having to sleep in a damp bed.  See Lehi history, page 157.)

Their second daughter, Lavina Jane , was born 17 Sep 1866.  When she ws two years old, the fear of the Indians became less of a concern, and the family moved into a little dugout in the side of a hill at what is now 6th North and Center Street.  Here their third child, a son, James Charles  was born 14 Sept 1868.  When he was three weeks old, the family had to move.  Samuel Brigg s , who owned the property, wanted to build a molasses mill there.

James applied for, and obtained, about ten acres of land on the north side of Dry Creek, later known as the New Survey.  They were the first settlers in that area.  James built a small sod house, but could not get windows or doors, so quilts were used to cover the openings.  It was a lonesome spot, and at night the coyotes furnished the music.  Charlotte used to put the axe by her bed for protection.  She swept the dirt floor with bundles of sage brush.  In order to save the wood, which was hauled from the hills, Charlotte would sit up in bed to keep warm, while she knitted stockings for her children.

The little pioneer family had to work hard to eke out an existence.  James had to work away from home about all the time as a blacksmith, as a teamster (horse driver), and for different ones to obtain the use of ox teams or horses to plow the land.  He assisted the community in the building canals, diversion ditches, the little church house and town buildings.  James also worked on buildings the Salt Lake Temple.

As a result of his absence the children had to learn the art of 'hard work'.  With their hard working mother they had: to grub the sage brush on their own little place; to plant the garden, and plant the grain; to harvest the crops; to dry corn, beans, fruit; to glean the grain fields (pick up the heads of grain that were left in the fields after the grain ws cut and harvested by means of the scythe); to gather ground cherries from the lower Lehi fields, and dry them for winter.  These and many other tasks taught these children the value of money; how to work hard; and, as they all worked together, taught them to love and appreciate each other and their parents.  They were pioneers!

James was a blacksmith by trade.  He helped build the first saw mill which was located on the Joe Smith  place in Dry Creek.  From this mill was cut the first lumber in Lehi.  They planted their first Alfalfa patch in rows like a garden.  When the crop was ripe, James  mad a 'frail'.  It was two sticks fastened together with a strap.  The one struck the hay, the other was held in the hand.  The two stick affair made it easier on the hands in pounding the seed out of the hull, or to shell it.

Employment was scarce in Lehi, so James and Carl Field  went to Ruby Valley, Elko County, Nevada, to look for work.  They were captured by a band of Indians and taken to the Chief.  James praised the Chief.  This pleased him so much, he let them go.  Obeying the advise of President Brigham Young , they were always good to the Indians, and gave the food and shelter.

One day a group of Indians camped by the creek.  A small Indian girl strayed away from the camp, and the Indians left her.  Charlotte  was gathering wood and heard the little girl crying.  She brought her home and cared for her.  Sometime later, some Indians camped at the bunk house, saw the little girl and asked where they got her.  These Indians said they knew the girl's mother and would take her home.  These Indians never forgot this kind act.  Sometime later a band of Indians got some liquor from the white men and went on the war path.  Charlotte saw them coming and was very frightened.  One Indian rode straight to the house.  He sat on her door step all day and nearly all night to protect her.  Charlotte tried to send him away but he would not go.  When the Indians left for home he said, "Me go now.  You all right".  She learned later he was an Uncle to the little girl.

One time, some of the older children were hunting pine nuts, when they lost their way.  Their food was exhausted, and they were feeling very blue.  An Indian came riding along on his pony.  He stopped and looked at them.  Then he laughed and said, "I know your ma.  Your ma good squaw.  She give us biscuits".  He told the children the way to go to get home safely.  This shows that it paid to be friendly with the Indians.

James & Charlotte (Crocket)  Gough  had eleven (11) children and one (1) adopted son:

1.1.2.4.1.      Mary Ann , b. 28 Oct  1864, Lehi, Utah; d. 14 Jul 1931, Lehi Utah; m. 24 Apr 1884 to Soren Sorenson .
1.1.2.4.2.      Lavina Jane,  b. 17 Sept  1866, Lehi, Utah; m. 24 Nov 1887 to Moroni Thayne .
1.1.2.4.3.      James Charles , b. 14 Sept  1868.  Of More
1.1.2.4.4.      Ellen "Ellenor" , b. 19 Jun 1870, Lehi, Utah; d. 31 Mar 1945, Lehi, Utah; 24 Dec 1889 to James Carter .
1.1.2.4.5.      Harriet , b. 26 Mar  1873, Lehi, Utah; d. 9 Apr 1950, Salt Lake City, Utah; m. 1 Nov 1891 to Thomas Taylor .
1.1.2.4.6.      William , b. 19 May  1875, Lehi, Utah; d. 11 Sept 1944, Yakima, Washington; m. 7 Jan 1897 to Lucy Ann Shaw .
1.1.2.4.7.      Samuel , b. 22 Jul  1877, Lehi, Utah; d. 20 Jun 1960, Lehi, Utah; m. 7 Jul 1920 to Thalia Tuckett Iverson . Of More.
1.1.2.4.8.      Thomas Ephraim , b. 2 Apr 1879, Lehi, Utah; d. 15 Sept 1964, Raymond, Alberta, Canada; m. 6 Jun 1901 to Melinda Shipley Day .
1.1.2.4.9.      Richard , b. 20 May  1881, Lehi, Utah; d. 2 Nov 1974, Lincoln, Idaho; m. 22 Jun 1904 to Pearl Clift .
1.1.2.4.10.  Charlotte , b. 8 Feb  1884, Lehi, Utah; d. 17 Apr 1954, Lehi, Utah; m. 28 Jun 1905 to William Hadfield .
1.1.2.4.11.  Robert , b. 5 Mar 1886, Lehi, Utah; d. 17 Jan 1928, Lehi, Utah.
1.1.2.4.12.  John Koyle  (adopted son), b. 11 Aug 1884, d. 24 Jan 1885.

James Gough

1.1.2.4.3.  James Gough , son of James & Charlotte (Crocket) Gough , b. 14 Sept 1868, Lehi, Utah; d. 11 Jul 1961, Lehi, Utah; m. 13 Feb 1894, Lehi, Utah to Elizabeth Ann Trinnaman .

Samuel Gough

1.1.2.4.7.  Samuel Gough , son of James & Charlotte (Crocket)  Gough , b. 22 Jul 1877, Lehi, Utah; d. 20 Jun 1960, Lehi, Utah; bur. 24 Jun 1960, Murray, Utah; m 1st to Leulia Anderson ; m 2nd Mary Jane Cox Petersen ; m 3rd . 7 Feb 1920, Logan, Utah to Thalia Tuckett Iverson , daughter of Alma Nicholas & Sarah  Ann Jane (Tuckett) Iverson , b. 10 Aug 1885, Springville, Utah; d. 3 Feb 1937, Salt Lake City, Utah.  After the death of Samuel, Thalia Gough  m 2nd Arthur Laycock .  Samuel & Thalia Tuckett (Iverson) Gough  had three (3) children:

1.1.2.4.7.1.  Samuel Leland , b. 15 May 1921, Lehi, Utah; m. 8 Aug 1942 to Amber Fern Reynolds .
1.1.2.4.7.2.  Alma John , b. 26 Apr 1924, Mill Creek, Salt Lake, Utah; m. 13 Jun 1946, Ruth Beverly  Hess .
1.1.2.4.7.3. Eldo Vilace , b. 16 Sept 1927, Murray, Salt Lake, Utah; m. 26 Apr 1954 to Gloria Mae Curtis .


Alma John Gough

Alma John Gough

1.1.2.4.7.2.  Alma John Gough , son of Samuel & Thalia Tuckett (Iverson) Gough , b. 26 Apr 1924, Millcreek, Utah; m. 13 Jun 1946 to Beverly Ruth Hess , daughter of John Evan & Maude Elda  (Edmonds) Hess , b. 6 Jun 1927, Farmington, Utah.  Alma John & Beverly Ruth (Hess) Gough  had nine (9) children, all born Salt Lake City, Utah:

1.1.2.4.7.2.1.     Janna Lee , b. 20 Jun 1947; m. 9 Jan 1969 to  Jonathan Augustine Cowne .
1.1.2.4.7.2.2.     Brian Conway , b. 27 Aug 1948; m. 1 Sept 1972 to Linda May Tavoian .
1.1.2.4.7.2.3.     Jolynn Alayne , b. 18 Oct 1949; d. 16 Mar 1989; m. 29 Sept 1988 to Michael Robert Nokes .
1.1.2.4.7.2.4.     Jill Lynae , b. 23 Mar 1952; m. 2 Nov 1973 to Walter Branting Williams .
1.1.2.4.7.2.5.     Gaylen Todd , b. 19 May 1957; m. 17 Oct 1986 to Vicki Hansen .
1.1.2.4.7.2.6.     Kevin Craig , b. 20 Feb 1959; m. 6 Aug 1982 to Sharon Marie Fugel .
1.1.2.4.7.2.7.     Alyn Jay , b. 19 Apr 1962; d. 29 Jan 1967.
1.1.2.4.7.2.8.     Jana Marie , b. 17 Oct 1965; m. 17 Jul 1987 to Kevin Ray Warner .
1.1.2.4.7.2.9.     Julie Shayla , b. 5 Nov 1969.

Janna Lee  Gough

1.1.2.4.7.2.1Janna Lee  Gough , daughter of Alma John & Beverly Ruth  (Hess) Gough , b. 20 Jun 1947, Farmington, UT; m. 19 Jan 1969, Mormon Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah to Jonathan Augustine Cowne , son of William Augustine & Elisabeth Madeline (Robinson) Cowne , b. 29 Jan 1941, Covington?, VA.  Jonathan Augustine & Janna (Gough) Cowne  had six (6) children:

1.1.2.4.7.2.1.1.      Jonathan Alma Lee
1.1.2.4.7.2.1.2.      Beverly Elisabeth  
1.1.2.4.7.2.1.3.      William Augustine, VI
1.1.2.4.7.2.1.4.      Elda Janna , b. 24 Sept  1973, Henrico Co., VA
1.1.2.4.7.2.1.5.      Mary Ella Lucille
1.1.2.4.7.2.1.6.      Susan Marie Chlorinda


[i] "The Goff Family", p. 2, compiled by Roy L. Lockhart , 4215 - 18th Avenue , Parkersburg , WV 26101 (1974)
[ii]
"The Goff Family", p. 2, compiled by Roy L. Lockhart , 4215 - 18th Avenue , Parkersburg , WV 26101 (1974)
[iii]
Film #104167-Brynmawr Branch Records, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
[iv]
Film #175576 - List of passengers, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.