Osborne comes from the Norse, for “doer of good” or “God-bearer” [Ozbun]
A branch of this family went to
James Osborne , b. 1674, Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire Co., England; m. bet. 1692-1697, England to Mary Ann ‘Jane’ Carter , b. ca. 1676, Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire Co., England; d. ca. 1796.
James & Mary Ann ‘Jane’ (Carter) Osborne had four (4) children:
3. Jonathon Osborne, possible son of James & Mary Ann ‘Jane’ (Carter) Osborne, b. 28 mar 1697, Warwickshire, England; m 1st Jul 1721, Williamsburg, James City Co., VA to Gretta Holloman , b. 1701, Williamsburg, James City Co., VA; d. 1796; bur. Montgomery Co., VA
Jonathon & Gretta (Holloman) Osborn had five (5) known children:
Ephriam Osborn, b. 21 Aug 1723, Williamsburg, James City,
VA; m. to Elizabeth Howard
3.2. Solomon Osborn , b. 1725, Williamsburg, VA
3.3. Jeremiah Osborn , b. 1727, Williamsburg, VA; d. Kentucky; m. 1758 to Mary Newman , daughter of John & Hannah (Posey) Newman , b. 1744, Augusta Co., VA
3.4. Josiah Osborn , b. 1729, Williamsburg, VA
3.5. Johannah Osborn, b. 1731, Williamsburg, VA
3.6. Caleb Osborn e , b. bet. 1725-1731, probably 1730, Williamsburg, James City, VA; d. 7 Aug 1781, NC; m. 1755 to Hannah Howard , daughter of Capt. John & Elizabeth (Gassaway) Howard .
3.7. George Osborn e , b. bef. 1735; d. 31 Jul 1783, Hampshire Co., VA; bur Hampshire Co., VA; m. 1761 to Hannah Unknown .
3.8. Stephen Osborn e , d. bet 1875-1893
3.I. Ephraim Osborn, Sr. , son of Jonathon & Gretta (Hollomon) Osborn , b. 21 Aug 1723, Williamsburg, VA; d. 1796, Grayson Co., VA; m. ca. 1749 probably Grayson Co., VA to Elizabeth Wells Howard , daughter of Cornelius Joshua & Joanna (O’Carroll) Howard , b. 1726, Grayson Co., VA; d. 1796, Fort Osborn, Independence, Grayson Co., VA.
Ephriam Osborn was a fur trader in the Yadkin Valley.
Ephriam & Elizabeth (Howard) Osborn , Sr. had fourteen (14) children
, b. 1743; d. 1764, Rowan Co., NC; m. to Nancy Wood Davidson
3.1.2. Stephen Osborn , b. 1744; d. 1 Jul 1817; m. to Comfort Longhorn
3.1.3. Elender Osborn , b. 1745, m. to Willima Horton Hash.
3.1.4. Zachariah Osborn , b. 1746
3.1.5. Enoch Osborn , b.1750; d. 18 Sept 1818; m. to Jane Hash , daughter of John Hash
3.1.6. Ephriam Osborn, Jr., b. 14 Sept 1752; d. 9 Nov 1852; m. to Mary Polly Brock .
3.1.7. Jonathon Osborn , b. 13 Feb 1753, Rowan Co., NC; d. 11 Apr 1834, Ashe Co., NC; m 1st to Nancy Howell ; m 2nd to Agnes Wells ; m 3rd to Mary Swift
3.1.8. Jeremiah Osborn , b. 1755
3.1.9. Nancy Osborn , b. 1756; m. to George Livesay
3.1.10. George Osborn , b. 1758
3.1.11. Thomas Osborn , b. 1760
3.1.12. John Ander Osborn , b. 1761
3.1.13. Cornelius Osborn , b. 1765
3.1.14. Robert Osborn , d. aft. 1810; m. to Ann Unknown
3.1.5. Enoch Osborn , son of Ephriam & Elizabeth (Howard) Osborn , Sr., b. 1750; d. 18 Sept 1818; m. to Jane Hash , daughter of John Hash .
“Enoch Osborn e and wife were professors of religion and aided in planting the standard of Christian civilization over the land that was recently inhabited by savages. An incident occurred with the Osborne brothers in their newly occupied territory that tells of the dangers and exposures to which pioneer settlers were subjected. Enoch Osborne and brothers Solomon and Ephraim , went into what is now Watauga County, NC, on a hunting trip – deer being plentiful in the that section – and getting wet by a shower of rain and wet bushes struck up camp, hung up their wet clothes by the camp-fire and lay down to sleep. The Indians surprised them by shooting and killing Solomon Osborn e. An Indian chased Enoch some distance and lost him in the dark. Ephraim, after fleeing from camp, carefully crept back in the dark to find his mare that was fastened with a hickory-bark halter to a tree, loosed her and rode home. Enoch Osborne returned home without shoes and in his night clothing. The author of these sketches learned these facts from Mrs. Mary McMullen , who, before her marriage, was Miss Mary Woods , granddaughter of Solomon Osborn who was murdered by the Indians, and married Hon. Fayette McMullen , member of congress from Scott County in his district in Virginia for several sessions. It was at the old fort where Esquire Enoch Osborn, Sr. , first located in home. He married a Miss Hash . Their home was a resting place for the way-worn traveling preachers. The venerable Bishop Ashbury in after years called with them, rested and took refreshments as he was making his ministerial tour through this newly settled country, preaching the gospel.”
Enoch & Jane (Hash) Osborn had twelve (12) children:
, b. ca. 1761; m. to George Howell
· Hannah Osborn , b. ca. 1765; m. to Charles Copeland .
· Ruth Osborn , b. 26 Dec 1770; m. ca. 1787 to Joshua Cox
· Ann Osborn , b. 1773; d. 10 Aug 1857, Scott Co., VA; m. to Samuel H. Robinette
· Enoch Osborn e , b. 22 Dec 1774, Grayson or Franklin Co., VA; d. 1853, Grayson Co. VA; m. ca. 1797 to Mary Livesay , daughter of Thomas & Margaret (Stones) Livesay , b. ca. 1775, Franklin Co., VA.
· Jane Osborn , b. 18 Aug 1777, VA; d. 21 Jan 1851, Ashe Co., NC; m. to George Reeves ; m 2nd ca. 1818 to David Edwards .
· Rebecca Osborn , b. 1780; m. to Samuel Cox .
· Zachariah Osborn , b. 15 Jul 1781, Montgomery Co., VA; d. 2 Nov 1877; bur. Elk Creek Cemetery, Sparta, Alleghany Co., NC; m. ca. 1803 to Charity Reeves .
· Sarah Osborn , b. ca. 1782, VA; d. aft. 1870; m. to Moses Dixon
· Phebe Osborn , b. 12 Dec 1785; d. 27 Jan 1863, Grayson Co., VA; bur. Reeves Cemetery, Grayson Co., VA; m. to John Reeves .
· Abigail Osborn , m. to John Gross
· Lydia Osborn , m. to Alexander Cox
3.1.7. Jonathon Osborn , son of Ephriam & Elizabeth (Howard) Osborn , Sr., b. 13 Feb 1753, Ashe/Rowan Co., NC; d. 11 Apr 1834, Rowan Co., NC; m 1st 1771 to Nancy Howell ; m 2nd 24 Sept 1796, Grayson Co., VA to Agnes Wells ; m 3rd ca. 1800 to Mary Swift , b. bef. 1775; d. aft 23 Apr 1835.
Jonathan Osborn served as a private in the 10th Regiment, Hogg’s Company Revolutionary War. He enlisted on 20 Jul 1779 for a period of 9 months.
The 1820 Grayson Co., Virginia Census shows the following:
1 male over 45, 1 male between 10-16
1 female over 45, 1 female between 10-16, 1 female between 16-26
Jonathon & Nancy (Howell) Osborn had two (2) children:
Jonathon & Agnes (Wells) Osborn had one (1) child:
Jonathon & Mary (Swift) Osborn had six (6) children:
220.127.116.11. Stephen Osborn , son of Jonathon & Mary (Swift) Osborn , b. 21 Feb 1801, Grayson Co., VA; d. 21 Dec 1892, Ashe Co., NC; m. 6 Dec 1819 to Mary Vanover , daughter of Cornelius & Abby (Eastard) Vanover , b. 1801; d. aft. 1870. They lived in North Fork, Ashe Co., NC.
Stephen & Mary (Vanover) Osborn had twelve (12) children:
Alvin Osborn, b. 13 Mar 1821, Ashe Co., NC; d. 8 Jun 1850, Ashe Co., NC; bur. Barlow-Osborn,
North Fork Township, Ashe Co., NC; m 1 Oct 1845 to Sarah Thomas.
18.104.22.168.2. Jonathon Osborn , b. 7 mar 1823, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1835
22.214.171.124.3. Richard Osborn , b. 1826, Ashe Co., NC; d. 7 Jun 1892; m. to Delphia Cox , b. 1827
126.96.36.199.4. Isabel Osborn , m. to John Castle
188.8.131.52.5. William Osborn , b. 22 Apr 1830, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1873; m. 3 Nov 1851 to Elizabeth Cole
184.108.40.206.6. James Osborn , b. 1830; d. 1843
220.127.116.11.7. Mary Osborn , b. 13 Apr 1832, Ashe Co., NC; d. 18 May 1890; m. 3 Jan 1955 to Wilborn Cole , son of Joshua & Tabitha Evaline (Osborn) Cole, b. 1831; d. 1917.
18.104.22.168.8. Rebecca Osborn , b. 7 Apr 1834, Ashe Co., NC; m. 6 Apr 1855 to James Cole ; m 2nd to Nathan Ward .
22.214.171.124.9. Hannah Osborn , b. 1836; m. to John Wilson
126.96.36.199.10. Alfred Osborn , b. 23 Jul 1838, Ashe Co., NC; d. 28 Jan 1874, Ashe Co., NC; bur. Ashe Co., NC; m. ca. 1859, Ashe Co., NC to Mary Roark .
188.8.131.52.11. George H. Osborn, b. 1840; d. 1901, Ashe Co., NC; m 17 Dec 1866 to Franky C. Wilson .
184.108.40.206.12. Aris/Arus Osborn , b. 1843; m 22 Apr 1860 to Elizabeth Osborn , daughter of David & Elizabeth (Price) Osborn .
220.127.116.11. Tabitha Evaline Osborn, daughter of Jonathon & Mary (Swift) Osborn , b. 28 Dec 1804/1805; d. 15 Sept 11873; m. 8 Jan 1824 to Rev. Joshua Cole , son of Charles & Elizabeth (Stoneman) Cole , b. 8 Jan 1802, Grayson Co., VA; d. ca. 1880, Grayson Co., VA.
Joshua Cole was a Methodist minister and five of his sons became preachers also. For further information on this family see Cole.
Joshua & Tabitha Evaline (Osborn) Cole had nine (9) children:
, b. 10 Sept 1826; m. ca. 1850 to Susannah Osborn
· Charles Cole , b. 1827; m. 3 Nov 1851 to Mary Unknown
· Elizabeth Cole , b. 1829; m. 3 Nov 1851 to William Osborn , son of Stephen & Mary (Vanover) Osborn .
· Rev. Wilborn Cole, b. 30 Apr 1831, Grayson Co., VA; d. 22 Jan 1917, Piney Creek, Alleghany Co., NC; m. 3 Jan 1831 to Mary Osborn, daughter of Stephen & Mary (Vanover) Osborn; m 2nd to Nancy hash.
· James Cole , b. 1833; m. 6 Apr 1855 to Rebecca Osborn
· Joseph Cole , b. 1837; m. 14 Jan 1857 to Malinda Sluder
· David Fleming Cole , b. 6 Mar 1840; d. 24 mar 1925; m 17 Jan 1857 to Elizabeth Sluder
· Lorenzo Dow Cole , b. 24 Mar 1843; d. 16 Sept 1919; m. 18 Nov 1866 to Martha Angeline Miller
· Lou Anna Cole , b. 1846; m. 18 Nov 1866 to Alexander Osborne .
, daughter of Stephen & Mary (Vanover) Osborn
, b. 13 Apr 1832, Ashe Co., NC; d. 18 May 1890; m. 3 Jan 1955 to Wilborn Cole
, son of Joshua & Tabitha Evaline (Osborn) Cole, b. 1831; d. 1917.
For further information see Cole..
Wilborn & Mary (Osborn) Cole had nine (9) children:
, b. 1852, Ashe Co., NC; m. to a Nelson.
18.104.22.168.7.2. Hannah Delilah ‘Delia’ Cole , b. 1854; m. 30 Dec 1874 to James Nelson Atwood .
22.214.171.124.7.3. Alfred Ezra Cole , b. 1856; m. 2 Dec 1875 to Patience Fawlkes
126.96.36.199.7.4. Sarah Ann Cole , b. 1859; m. to a Goodman .
188.8.131.52.7.5. Mary Magdalene ‘Mollie’ Cole , b. 1 Dec 1864, Alleghany Co., NC; d. 16 Oct 1950, Jennings Ordinary, Nottoway Co., VA.
184.108.40.206.7.6. Donald Watson Cole , b. 2 Nov 1866; m. 28 Nov 1891 to Sarah M. Phillips .
220.127.116.11.7.7. Rosamond ‘Rosie’ Cole , b. 1868; m. 28 Nov 1891 to Arthur Dowell (a double wedding with sisters marrying brothers).
18.104.22.168.7.8. Josephine ‘Josie’ Cole , b. 1871; m. 28 Nov 1891 to Charlie Dowell (a double wedding with sisters marrying brothers).
22.214.171.124.7.9. Nancy ‘Nannie’ Cole , b. 1873; m. 15 Jan 1894 to Robert L. Baumgarner .
Magdalene ‘Mollie[i]’ Cole[ii],
daughter of Rev. Wilborn & Mary (Osborne) Cole
, b. 1 Dec 1864, Alleghany o., NC; d. 16 Oct 1950, Jennings Ordinary, Nottoway
Co., VA; bur. Mt. Zion Church Cemetery, Piney Creek, Alleghany Co., NC; m 1st
, d. in a fall from a horse. Mary
‘Mollie’ (Cole) Smith
m 2nd 16 Dec 1894 to
James Monroe Smith
, son of Charles & Sarah ‘Sally’ (Mabe) Smith
, b. 9 Feb 1865; d. 10 Oct 1956; bur. Mt. Zion Methodist Church Cemetery, Piney
Creek, Alleghany Co., NC. For
further information see Smith.
Unknown & Mary (Cole) Smith had one (1) child:
· Rosie Alice Smith , b. 7 Mar 1893; d. ca. 1908, of a ruptured appendix.
James Monroe & Mary Magdalene ‘Mollie’ (Cole)(Smith) Smith had eight (8) children:
John Lester Smith
, b. 24 Sept 1895; m. to Ada Pennington
· Eugene Nelson Smith , b. 15 Sept 1897; m. 7 Apr 1920 to Betty Andrews , daughter of Horton & Rhoda (Pasley) Andrews .
· Bessie Leoda Smith , b. 29 Jun 1899; d. 30 Dec 1964; m. 31 May 1922 to McKinley ‘Mac’ Woodie .
· Hattie Cedellia Smith , b. 2 Apr 1901; d. 4 Mar 1971.
· Mattie Beatrice Smith , b. 8 Jun 1903; m. 21 Nov 1921 to Plato Rex Cox .
· Gladys Ella Smith , b. 12 Apr 1905; d. 6 Aug 1987; m. 26 Aug 1922 to Willie Eugene Pasley , b. 15 Dec 1900; d. 27 Feb 1956.
** Candidate Ancestry – Not Yet Proven
Mollie is the name on her tombstone.
[ii] 1) Evelyn Waters [Dec 2000] citing as sources: Death Record of David F. Cole; 1850 Census of Ashe Co., NC; Marriage Records Ashe Co., NC; 1850-1860 Grayson Co., VA Census; Osborne/Alley Book in library at West Jefferson, NC; Barbara Norvell 1999; Marolyn Jean Campbell 1999; 2) Evelyn Waters [Dec 2000] citing as sources: Grayson Co., VA Census reports 1800-1900; Barbara Norvell 1999; Marolyn Jean Campbell 1999; 3) Evelyn Water firstname.lastname@example.org