Supplemental Information to "Windows Into Our Past A Genealogy of
the Parsons Smith & Associated Families, Vol. 1 © 1996, compiled by Judy
, page 225-227.
Arthur Blankenship , most likely the son of Norvell Blankenship , b. 1770, Chesterfield (or Amherst) County, Virginia; d. 1865, Lee County, VA; m.1st- 6 Sept 1794, by Edward Morgan in Montgomery Co., VA[ii] to Mary Muncy[iii] , daughter of Samuel & Mary (Scott) Muncy , b. ca. 1775, Augusta Co., VA; d. 1826-1827, Lee Co., VA; m2nd- 1827-1828, Lee Co., VA to Lavina (Munsey) Woodward , widow of William Henry Woodward , daughter of William & Elizabeth Munsey , d. ca. 1833, Lee Co., VA, a young woman; m3rd- 13 July 1834, Lee Co., VA by Henry Thompson (Methodist Minister) to Lavina Jane Burgin /Burgen , daughter of James & Nancy (Ledington) Burgin , b. 1819.
Arthur followed this path of migration to
Arthur Blankenship was a colorful individual. Marrying thrice and rearing three large families. His age at his death has been speculated to be anywhere from 93 to 112 years. Arthur is found in Tazewell Co., in 1810 with 1 tithable and 2 slaves[iv]. He is on the 1792 and 1793 Tithables list of Russell Co., VA[v].
Arthur settled in
As other settlers passed by, his home, as they headed west,
Arthur found himself in advantageous business position.
Settlers reaching his establishment were able to re-stock with meat, have
their horses shod, wheels of their wagons were repaired for the journey ahead.
The pioneers heading to and through the
Arthur was a true pioneer. He became a wealthy individual, most likely due to his real estate dealings. He was highly respected prominent individual in the community. He made many contributions to the development of the county.
Arthu r & Mary Blankenship had (8) eight children:
Jeremiah Wilkerson Blankenship
, b. 1795, Wythe Co., VA; d. 1873, Missouri; m. 1818, Lee Co., VA to Naomi
. Went to
2. Hezekiah Blankenship , b. 1797; d. prior to 1866. Migrated and settled in
4. Elizabeth Blankenship , b. 1802-1803, Tazewell Co., VA; d. Lee Co., VA; m. Elias Harber , son of Jeremiah & Elizabeth Harbour .
5. Mary Blankenship , b. 4 Apr 1807, Tazewell Co., VA; d. 2 Mar 1870, Lee Co., VA; m. George R. Ely .
6. Josephus Blankenship , d. aft. 1820. (Mentally retarded and died unmarried.[vi]) Lived in
7. Charles Campbell Blankenship, b. 27 Oct 1820; m. 28 Jul 1838, Claiborne Co., TN to Susannah Little . Charles C. Blankenship was a Baptist Circuit Rider Preacher and a
8. Sarah Blankenship , b. abt. 1824-1826; m. John Pennington .
$ Lavina (Munsey) & William Henry Woodward had three (3) children:
- Jesse Shelton Woodward
, d. 1880,
- Elizabeth ‘Betsy’ Woodward , b. ca. 1814; m. abt. 1830-31 to Gassoway Carroll .
- William Pressley Woodward
, b. 30 Sept 1816; d. 26 Jul 1899,
Arthur & Lavina (Muncy Woodward) Blankenship had (4) four children:
, b. abt. 1829; d. Union Co., TN; m. John Green
, son of Robert
& Ely Ann (Drake) Green
10. Levisa (Louisa) Blankenship , b. abt. 1830; d. bef. 1866; m to Mr. Munsey .
11. Benjamin F. Blankenship , b. 1832; m. abt 1856, Elizabeth Unknown . Joined the Union Army and served in the West as a captain.
12. Nancy Blankenship , b. abt. 1833-4; m. aft. 1850 Mitchell Barker
Arthur & Lavina Jane (Burgin) Blankenship had (7) seven children:
, b. 1835; m 1st 1856-60 to Joshua Deeds
; m 2nd to Hiram Jones
14. Louisa Blankenship , b. 4 Aug 1839; d. 26 Mar 1922; m. 1857 to Marquis Lafayette Yeary , b. 9 May 1837; d. 26 Mar 1922. Marquis & Louisa Yeary died within hours of one another.
15. John Blankenship, b. 24 Dec 1840, Lee Co., VA; d. 8 Dec 1866, killed in
16. Lettisha (Louvinia /Lorene ) Blankenship , b. 31 Jan 1843, Lee Co., VA; d. 23 Mar 1940, Arapaho, OK; m. 28 Mar 1867 to James Smith , b. 22 Sept 1841; d. 31 Aug 1919, Lee Co., VA. Lettisha (Blankenship) Smith moved to with some of her children to
17. Catherine Blankenship , b. 22 Nov 1846, Lee Co., VA.
18. Leitia Blankenship , b. 30 Jan 1849, Lee Co., VA; d. 23 Mar 1940, Clinton, OK; m. 24 Mar 1867 to James Smith , son of Elisha & Cynthia Smith , b. 1843.
19. Elvira Blankenship , b. 5 Jul 1853, Lee Co., VA; d. 15 Jan 1859, 5 yrs, 6 mos., 10 days, killed by a cow.
The mother/s of these two (2) additional sons are unknown:[viii]
21. George Blankenship . Nothing further is known about him.
, father of Lavina Jane Burgin
, was one of the signers of the petition to form
13. Lavina Blankenship , daughter of Arthur & Lavina Jane (Burgin) Blankenship, b. 1835; m 1st 1856-60 to Joshua Deeds ; m 2nd to Hiram Jones .
Hiram & Lavina (Blankenship)(Deeds) Jones had a daughter:
m. to W.E.N. Taylor
13.1. Luticia “Lucy” Jones , daughter of Hiram & Lavina (Blankenship)(Deeds) Jones , m. to W.E.N. Taylor
. & Luticia “Lucy” (Jones)
Hiram Lyttle “Hoot Owl”
“The Blankenship Family History”, by Col. Leslie C. Blankinship, pp.
18-21; 50-55; 66-73 and “Chesterfield County, Virginia Wills 1749-1774”,
abstracted and compiled by Benjamin B. Weisiger, III
[iii] “A Brief of Wills and Marriages of Montgomery and Fincastle Cos., VA (1733-1811)” by Anne Lowry Worrell, 1976 (reprint).
[v] “Early Russell
[vi] Early Settlers of Lee County Virginia, Vol II. “Blankenship section”
[vii - viii] “The Blankenship Family History”, by Col. Leslie C. Blankinship, p. 55